Thursday, January 19, 2012

Clearing the Air

Being that this blog is still in it's infantile stages, let's clear the air on some of the important issues. Feel free to disagree all you want because these are simply my opinions, but this way I can disclaim all my soapboxes and justify my rants. These posts are primarily meant to serve as a storage unit for my mind.

Teams that I love:

1.) United States Men's National Team (USMNT)



2.) La Seleccion Nacional de Uruguay (Uruguay's national team)


3.) Football Club Dallas (FCD)


4.) Tottenham Hotspur



Honorable Mention: Juventus, Barcelona Liverpool, Everton, Fulham, Houston Dynamo, Lazio, Napoli, Nacional

The only way I was able to rank the first two teams, is by asking myself the question: "If the United States and Uruguay were in a war, which country would I give my life to?" So in all other respects, they are equal in my mind and in my heart (haha). As a kid I was a huge fun of the Dallas Burn, and now they are known as FCD. Luckily I was raised in a town very close to an MLS team so I naturally loved the burn. I follow them every season. Tottenham and I have a different love story. In 2010 I decided "I need a prem team to follow." I am belligerently against jumping on any band wagons, and subsequently ruled out Manchester United. Arsenal has way too many fans. Chelsea is full of babies. Tottenham stole my heart during the Champions League group play of 2010 against Inter Milan.

Teams that I do not love:
1.) Anything Mexican
2.) The National Teams of Brazil, Portugal, and Italy
3.) Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake
4.) Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, AC Milan, Real Madrid

Most of these teams are just the rivals of my favorites, which makes sense right? The only reasons why NOT to like a team that has nothing to do with one of your favorites, is because 1- they are good and beat your favorite team and/or 2- they are dirty/whiny. Exhibit A: Real Madrid, AC Milan, and #2 on my black list.

Players that I love:

1.) Diego Forlan



2.) Clint Dempsey



3.) Brek Shea



4.) Gareth Bale



5.) Carles Puyol


Honorable Mention: Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Tim Howard, Luis Suarez, David Beckham, Cesc Fabregas, Edinson Cavani, Sebastian Abreu, Carlos Bocanegra, Mikkel Diskeruud, Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Players that I do not love:
1.) Jonathan Bornstein
2.) Marcelo
3.) Pepe
4.) Felipe Melo
5.) Marco Materazzi
6.) Carlos Tevez

* Note on #6: This guy grew up in the slums of Argentina. He now makes $20,134,400 per year. That's $387,200 a week. Only a fool will sit the bench in protest while he gets paid enough to buy a lamborghini every 7 days. What does he say to the little kids in the slums when he goes home?

Leagues/Tournaments that I care about:
1.) The World Cup
2.) CONCACAF Gold Cup
3.) CONMEBOL Copa America
4.) UEFA Champions League
5.) Euros
6.) English Premiere League
7.) La Liga
8.) MLS

The following video was made by ESPN in the spring of 2010. If you are going to watch it, FULL SCREEN this baby cause honestly, I would cry when I saw it then, and I cry when I see it now. I wish I had a time machine cause that was probably the best summer of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment